Be In Sync: A Guide to Grounding with Lifestyle
Grounding is all about being present. It means feeling the here and now so you can make the best choices moment by moment to support your happiness, productivity, and relationships.
In Ayurveda, the ancient Indian healing system, the cool fall months are associated with Vata energy. Vata is characterized as light, cold, airy, creative, energetic and flexible. When out of balance, Vata can manifest as worrying, anxiety, and sometimes insomnia. As Vata can get especially out of balance this time of year, it’s important to create daily habits to stay grounded and keep your mind and body centered. Here are some quick tips for grounding and feeling more connected throughout your day:
1. Feel your feet: firmly on the floor and take 3 deep breaths for immediate grounding.
2. Positive posture: Straighten your spine, lift your sternum, open your chest, relax your jaw and shoulders and uncross your arms and legs.
3. Grounding foods: Incorporate root vegetables, nuts and seeds, and warming spices into your diet. Think beets, sweet potatoes, almonds, pumpkin seeds, ginger, and cardamom, just to name a few.
4. Warm your belly: Avoid cold drinks, and keep your core cozy with spiced teas and warming beverages. Need inspiration? Try Arogya Chai or a comforting cup of Turmeric Ginger tea.
4. Get into the here and now: Breathe in and mentally say “Here,” breathe out “Now”
5. Spend a few moments facing the sun: breathing in light, vitality, and joy and breathing out, letting go of stress and negativity.
6. 1-minute meditation: Place your hand on your heart, close your eyes, feel your heart beating, feel your breath. Just be here in this awareness for one minute (or more). Connecting with the joy and peace inside of yourself will help you, in turn, connect positively with others 🙂
7. Use essential oils to ground and connect. Check out our blog post: Be In Sync: A Guide for Grounding with Essential Oils