Scrumptious Chai Almonds
I’m a big fan of delicious protein-rich snacks that travel well. With this in mind, I recently created this recipe for roasted chai tea infused almonds. These wholesome nuts have a touch of caffeine and a little sweetness, making them a delightful afternoon pick-me-up.
Plus, they’re easy to prepare and more cost-effective than buying pre-roasted nuts. Additionally, cooking or baking anything from scratch makes it easier to use better ingredients and control just how much sugar and/or salt goes in.
We hope you enjoy these scrumptious chai almonds as much as we do!
- 2 tablespoons Arogya Organic Black Chai Tealeaves
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water
- 2 cups Organic Almonds
- 1/2 cup Organic Sugar (use more or less depending on taste)
- 3/4 – 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (use more or less depending on taste)
- 1 pinch Fine Sea Salt
- Place the tea leaves in a liquid measuring cup or mason jar. Pour in the boiling water and steep tea for about 20 minutes. In the meantime, line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Strain the brewed tea into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves and begins to caramelize. Add almonds, cinnamon, and sea salt. Keep stirring until the sugar and chai mixture fully caramelizes. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Next, use a wooden spoon or rubber scraper to scoop the almonds onto the baking sheet. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Then use your hands to break the almonds apart from one another. Spread out on the baking sheet. Place in the oven at 250ºF for about 15 minutes (be sure to keep an eye on the nuts to make sure they don’t burn!).
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
Recipe by Wei Bertram
Photos by Sophie Slater