Delectable Delicata Squash
The autumn harvest is here! It’s the perfect time to fire up the oven and roast squash, root vegetables, apples, and more.
This is one of our favorite, easy-to-make oven recipes: roasted delicata squash. Though technically a summer squash, delicata has a hard flesh that’s entirely edible and delicious. This versatile squash is also high beta-carotene, vitamin C, potassium, and dietary fiber.
Enjoy as a side dish or a nutritious snack.
- 2 Delicata Squash
- Glug of Olive Oil
- Generous dash of Cinnamon, more or less according to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of Nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)
- 2 large pinches of Sea Salt
- Freshly cracked Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Scrub the squash using warm water. Dry and then slice each squash in half lengthwise. Trim off stems.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Discard seeds (compost if you can!) or save the seeds for roasting.
- Next, slice the squash into 1/2″ semi-rounds
- Place in a large mixing bowl add the olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat the squash evenly.
- Spread squash onto a baking sheet. Roast for at least 25-35 minutes, or until desired consistency, using a metal spatula to occasionally flip the squash.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: If you’re roasting other dishes at a slightly higher or lower temperature, just adjust the cooking time of the squash accordingly. This recipe is very forgiving!
Thank you Sport Hill Farm for growing the delicious delicata squash.
Recipe & photos by Sophie Slater